Why it’s okay-ish to be burnt out (and how to heal burn out
with Maryellen Dance
In this episode, Maryellen shares why burn out is normal and okay, how to recognize it, and what to do about it!
Maryellen begins by sharing about her own burn out and why therapists often get burnt out, but that’s okay. Therapists are taught about burn out in school. Therapists are taught how to recognize it and what to do about it because it’s expected in this type of job. But guess what? It’s expected in a lot of jobs! Especially when we’re working, trying to take care of families, and oh…a pandemic is happening around us!
Once Maryellen normalizes burn out she shares her four tips for dealing with burn out:
- Recognize it. Burn out can be confused with other types of stress. Recognize burn out for what it is.
- Set boundaries. Maryellen’s favorite word! Boundaries are important…listen above to hear how to set boundaries!
- Ask for help. As much as we hate to admit it, we all need help and support. It’s okay to ask for it.
- Take time away. Even when we can’t take a vacation, we can still take mini breaks that may just help us overcome burn out.
- Check out this awesome article (https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/prescriptions-life/201907/4-things-do-when-youre-burning-out-work) for more tips on burn out
- Follow Maryellen on Instagram www.intstagram.com/maryellendance